Sunday, March 15, 2015

A Quilting Retreat

 
So here is my luggage for a one night/two day quilting retreat. That's not bad is it??! I have my ironing board, bathers, extension cords and lots of fabric, so I'm all set!
 
 
This is what the view from my seat looked like for most of Saturday. A friend wanted to make a quilt like this one and so I decided to make one with her. I said to my friend, now be really careful when you unroll your jelly roll, you don't want to get the colours out of order, leave them exactly how they are and sew them in that order. So off she went like a good little girl and sewed them all exactly as they were when they were unravelled. Meanwhile I sew a few of mine in order and then think, oh that green would look better down there and that blue should really be over there. So I started messing mine all up and kept on sewing. It was bit of a weird blend, there was only one true red and heaps of yellowy/greens. I should have pulled a few out, but I was in the zone and kept on sewing.
 

A few hours later here we are with our finished quilt tops. Rows sewn together, pressed, cut, white sashing sewn on, strip rotated and sewn back together. I think my friends looks awesome!!! Mine, I feel a bit meeeeh...
 
 
Even the beautiful location couldn't shake that feeling.
 

Maybe I should quilt a tree over the top of it?? Instead I fold it up and get to work on something else. That night I get out ipad and look at the photos and for a 40 minutes have this in-depth discussion with my room mate about what I could do to make this quilt better. We discussed unpicking the green/yellow bit, but no too tricky with the white sashing. We discussed rainbow squares around the outside with a thinner white sashing? We discussed quilting options to make it pop. And then in a moment of frustration I said, I may as well just chop the thing in half. That was the lightbulb moment! Chop it in half and make two smaller quilts.

 
The first was easy. Just a simple chop and then add the white around the edges. Perfect. Quilt number one finished. Very happy quilter now.
 

Quilt number two needed a little bit of something else. So I did another cut and rotate and sew back in with white sashing. Looks like a landscape. Quilt number two finished. An extremely happy quilter indeed now!


Here is the whole gang with all their work for the weekend.

5 comments:

Cindy Sharp said...

Brilliant solution! Glad you had a great weekend.

carol said...

Actually, I liked yours from the beginning, but LOVE what you did to make 2. Bravo, lady! Glad you had a fun time!!

Tiffany said...

I LOVE what you ended up with! Great work!

Purple Boots and Pigtails said...

And then there were two!
Great save Quilt Master....

So very jealous to see your group out in shorts and flip flops. The view out my window shows about 3 feet of snow. At this rate it'll be a before my bare toes feel grass...sigh....

Valerie said...

Hurrah on your two for one! That said, I did enjoy the color variations in the original, too. I love a good rainbow, but your original had the bonus of being NOT predictable. Sometimes that's a nice change of pace. {grin}