Saturday, January 25, 2014

New Year, New Fabric!

 
Happy New Year neglected blog! I hope you have had a nice break, we are back from our whirlwind of a holiday. I took 600 photos in 4 weeks, not to bad. What would we do without the world of digital photography? Imagine taking that many shots on film?? Anyway, did just a spot of fabric shopping while away. Everyone kept having sales, its not my fault!
 

I did acquire this fabric too. I "borrowed" it from my Mums stash. My sister gave it to her a few years ago and it was still sitting there in it's original packaging..... So I sneakily popped it in my suitcase and brought it home with the plan to make the quilt and then post it back to Mum for her birthday in October and say it is from my sister and I, that is the plan anyway. The only problem I have is the pattern, it is so boring! I don't want to do it so I am now looking around for a nice quick and easy, modern but not to modern for Mum's taste lap sized quilt pattern. Any ideas?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love both stacks of fabric even though they're very different. Here are some ideas for quick, modern-ish quilts:
Churn Dash - see Cluck Cluck Sew's tutorial and quilt top: http://www.cluckclucksew.com/2013/10/churn-dash-block-tutorial.html
Urban Delight - pattern by Geta Grama here: http://patternspot.com/patterns/quilt-patterns/1443-urban-delight-quilt-pattern (though it's pretty easy to figure out without a pattern. The actual block is four unmatched quarters, joined with sashing.)
Stars & Four Patches - sample by Vintage Modern Quilts here: http://www.vintagemodernquilts.com/2013/05/30/stars-and-4-patches/ but the pattern is from Moda. Again, simple to figure out - just an Ohio Star with four patches in the corners, joined by sashing with cornerstones.
Disappearing Four Patch - gorgeous quilt with instructions by Tin Whitle here: http://thetinwhistle.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/disappearing-four-patch-quilt-wip-9-of.html
There's also an intriguing X and + quilt at Periwinkle Quilting & Beyond: http://periwinklequiltingandbeyond.blogspot.com/2012/01/progress-on-x-and-plus-quilt.html

Are you on Pinterest? I have a board of easier quilts for my aunt's charity quilting group. Maybe something there will interest you: http://www.pinterest.com/sandi_walton/quilts-for-karen/

Tiffany said...

I see you stocked up on COLOR! I love seeing your fun, colorful projects.
As for a simple, modern but traditional pattern - I TOTALLY know what you mean! My mom is pretty traditional too and our styles don't necessarily match. I want to make something nice for her but I don't want to bore myself in the process either. (I'm compromising by making a traditional storm at sea quilt - which I won't recommend unless you want something NOT simple - and using lots and lots of bright colors.) I'm not sure what to recommend, though. Some of the patterns at Cluck Cluck Sew come to mind. Simple but modern. Good luck!

Samantha said...

What about a bento box pattern? More interesting, but not toooo modern?