Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Getting ready to quilt!

 
Thank you for your kind comments about Alyssa's quilt in my last post. Milly has been sick the last three days, just a gastro bug going around town. During her napping in the day though I have been working on Alyssa's quilt and am up to sewing down the binding which I have been doing while sitting up in bed whne Milly is awake and answering her questions. "Mummy, will we ever go to London?" "Mummy, why do you like sewing?" "Mummy, am I going to be sick forever?" "Mummy, are adverts on the radio the same as adverts on tv?" "Mummy, why does your head get smaller when I close one eye?" All the while I am sewing a quilt for a little girl who is very sick and thinking of her parents and what they are going through. Making my three days of emptying buckets of bile vomit and cooling down Milly's brow with a wet flannel seem easy..... 

On Saturday however, I realized that the girl this quilt is for, her birthday is rapidly approaching next month. So I took it out from were it had been hanging in our wardrobe and went over to her house - she was at work - to check with her Mum if it would fit on her bed okay. Good thing I did as I then realized it needed just one more row. So thankfully I added that in quickly over the rest of the weekend.

Here it is on our lounge room floor stretched out ready to be pinned. It measures 63 by 87 inches. I was thinking of quilting it like this quilt here which I had admired since I saw it. But all that twisting and turning which such a large quilt...... Maybe I'll just go with straight wonky lines, right to left. Easier and less stressful. Save the spiral quilting for next time.

7 comments:

Emma said...

You could always free-motion the spiral, then you wouldn't have to keep turning it!

Michelle said...

That's a gorgeous quilt top. And I think however you quilt it it will look stuning!

Cindy Sharp said...

Beautiful quilt no matter how you quilt it.

Hope your sweet girl is feeling better soon.

Cristin said...

Ohh love the spiral quilting, but I think straight wonky lines would look great too! Just do whatever is least stressful for you :-)

Poppyprint said...

No fun having a sick little one! Hope she's right soon. You know, there isn't a lot of twisting involved. Your quilt isn't that much bigger than mine was (but then again I have a 10.5" throat on my machine...not sure how much space you've got). Because it's a gentle arc after the first few smaller circles you can go slowly with the walking foot on and it's pretty easy. I love lines, to though and did that on my Blackbird Fly quilt (it seemed to take ages, though!). I have another option for you. What about one large wonky cross about 3" in width, offset a little from the horizontal/vertical centers and echo quilted in each quadrant with "L" shapes that get progressively smaller as you approach the corners?

KateKwiltz said...

It's beautiful!

So why DOES your head get smaller when I close one eye???

Unknown said...

I just found your blog and have to say I love it!

I am a beginning quilter-I have started a jelly roll quilt and found a picture of yours from 2011. It has given me the inspiration to continue with this project.

Going to be a fan so I can come visit again.

Cindy