Monday, March 29, 2010

Ivanhoe Crossing.

Remember that scene in Australia where the Drover drives Nicole across the water? Or where you too busy drooling over Hugh Jackman like I was? It was filmed at a place called Ivanhoe Crossing which is not far from where we now live.

We went there yesterday for a look see, no Drover in sight unfortunately.

The water flows so fast here. It depends on how much water is being released upstream from Diversion Dam to as how fast or slow it flows. Perfect place for catching barramundi apparently although no one was there fishing today.

This was as far as we could go, but of course we wouldn't dream of crossing it in our little car! Must, must, must get a 4WD! The road will open in the "dry" season which officially goes from April to September. I told the girls we would come back when Grandad came up and cross in his 4WD! See those two dark dots in the water on the left? That was actually the heads of two Japanese backpackers who were lying on the road in the water cooling down. The water was about maybe 40cms deep? Their car was parked near ours, Queensland number plates, packed full of camping gear. They didn't read the sign as Grace pointed out to me.

I wouldn't swim here! I'd be torn between worrying about getting washed over the edge or chomped by a crocodile! So we'll stick to the backyard pool.

Thanks for all the amazing comments about the quilt up for grabs to celebrate my 600th post. Still a few more days to enter. Good luck!

5 comments:

Jen said...

I love that your photo nearly matches the screen shot from the movie! Still haven't seen it, by the way.

And the tourists? Their stupidity astounds me. No wonder so many of them get taken by crocs. Ack!

Xena said...

What wonderful pictures. Must be a beautiful area up there.

Car said...

I am totally jealous of your new piece of backyard ;) I'd love to live somewhere so pretty!

As for the tourists :o
Have they not seen crocodile dundee :o :o :o

carol said...

I'm thinking that maybe those tourists couldn't read English? Otherwise, who in their right mind would do that? Heavenly days!!

My nephew just moved to Perth. He got a job at the university, so I imagine we'll be seeing many beautiful pictures like the ones you posted.

Barb said...

We have alligators here which don't bother me nearly as much as the thought of crocs. Yikes!