Monday, February 04, 2008

Grace's First Day at School

Was it only a year ago since we had Grace's first day at kindy? *sigh* Surely not? Today was the first day of school, but big girls school this time, she'll be going for the whole day! Well, not until week 4, they ease them in with half days for the first few weeks at our school. We have been talking it up in our house for the last few weeks, making a big deal of buying new shoes and socks. Going to pick up her book list, driving past the school to check it out. And today was the big day. She ate her 2 rounds of vegemite toast and yoghurt and then declared she was ready to get dressed. Popped on her shoes and socks and picked up her backpack, not before I saw her shove her teddy in there. I asked "Is teddy going to pre primary too?" to which the reply was,"Yes, he is so excitied!"

I dropped Milly at her FDC before school to make the first day just me and Grace. Thankfully Milly has adapted going back there so smoothly. Dropped her off with a kiss, she didn't even watch as we left the room, too busy playing with the toys. So off to school Grace and I went. She was walking slower as we approached the building, or maybe I was walking faster? It was chaos in the room, loud teacher assistants trying to make the kids feel welcome, parents and kids not knowing where to put fruit, bags, water bottles. Early day chaos! We found her bag hook and hung that up, and noticed from the other bag labels that none of her little girl friends from kindy where in her class. A few boys we knew, but no girls, I felt sad for her then. Silly as I'm sure in a few weeks she will have new girly friends in her class, but she looked a bit lost sitting on the mat at the back when it was time for me to go. I had to really concentrate on not letting her see me cry. I know she's going to love school and she is so ready for school, its just, well... I want her to be okay. She'll be fine I am sure, she is independent, confident and an extrovert. Why am I worried then?


8 comments:

Unknown said...

You are worried cause that is what mummas do best.

I am sure she will be fine, she looks so cute in her school gear too.

Cass said...

Helen she looks so beautiful in her uniform. I'm sure she will be fine. Don't forget they can play with each other at break times. You know what you'll worry for the rest of your life about her because that's your job.

Kylie said...

Oh Grace - you look all grown up. Helen is there going to be a song about going to school for grace lou to celebrate the occasion - amelia stands beside me and asks for Jingle Bells every time I am on the computer at the moment!

I am sure that you will find your grove in no time and be sewing and quilting up a storm on your child free days!

Emma said...

I hope Grace had a lovely first day, and already has a selection of new friends.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous Grace. She looks beautiful. I hope she had a great day. Her counterpart from this household had a great day and can't wait for tomorrow. MVxx

Heids said...

Oh Helen - she looks gorgeous all dressed up and she WILL ake more girly friends but you will always worry about her and thats what makes us all love and value our Mums so much because we know THEY will always worry about us no matter how "grown - up" we are! Hope you had a fabulous first day Grace!

Little Munchkins said...

She looks so cute in her uniform. I am sure she will be just fine and will have lots of friends before you know it.

AJ said...

WOW Look how grown up she is!! Grace you look beautiful!!! Ihoep you both had a wonderful day and trust me they adapt very well!! Better than the parents!!