Wednesday, July 23, 2008

WIP Wednesday - Week 26 - Binding and an addition to "The List"

This is my list to do at the moment, known as "The List". I have had a silent pact with myself that I won't start any new project until I have finished AJ's Mystery Quilt or the Squid Eye Quilt. (They were both started earlier this year and I simply must finish them this year.) I think I have done well over the last few months not to start anything new as I have been a busy bee with all these swaps.

Here is 3 lots of binding that I finished sewing down last night. 3!! Okay, one is a mini quilt and the other two are dolls quilts, so not that big but still, binding is binding! I just have to sew on the labels and then I can cross #7 and #8 off the list. Like how I am working from the bottom upwards? So you would think with 2 swaps nearly out the way, I could tackle full on my 4 Seasons Swap.... you'd think wouldn't you? hmmmm, or maybe not....

I haven't been happy with it as mentioned before. I have unpicked it and rearranged it to come up with the above. Summery sunset over the ocean. It looks better in real life than this photo. The pale blue on the outer has little golden metalic swirls. And then to tie in the borders, some more foundation peicing of pointing triangles.

I have the paper drawn up and material selected. A gradiation of yellow to red against a sky blue background? Something like that. Hopefully it will fall into place when I start doing it. Ahhhhh yes. When are you going to start doing that Helen? Today would have been perfect, Grace back at school, Milly in FDC, a whole 4 hour window approximately to sew. But the thought of sitting down to all that foundation peicing, well it didn't fill me with glee and a feeling of grumpiness to put it nicely about all these swaps, all this sewing for others, a little voice called out, what about meeeeee???? What about sewing something for fun?? For yourself?? Now don't get me wrong, swaps are fun and I love how they challenge you to sew things you wouldn't normally sew. But that little voice that wanted to sew for fun was calling out too loudly today and I turned a blind eye to "The List" and pulled out these yummy fabrics below. I brought these back in November. A crime to let them sit untouched in my stash for any longer!

I have decided to make this pattern here purchased at the quilt show in May. Its perfect for large scale prints, which these are definately! I've had to scale back their dimensions a bit as I can fit 4 rectangles from a FQ. So everything is cut ready to go. Feels funny having everything cut for a quilt before starting, usually I cut as I go. Feels even funnier sewing just for meeeee! Guess a girl could get used to that though.

8 comments:

Tine said...

I love that squid-eye quilt!!

Emma said...

I LOVE what you've done with the FSQS! Perfect! Enjoy sewing for yourself, I'm looking forward to doing the same one day!

Austysmum said...

Helen you have outdone yourself! When I saw that 4 seasons quilt my jaw just dropped!!! I think I am in love. Amazing work!!!

AJ said...

You Go Girl!!! You are on fire!! Love the revamp of the sun, those waves underneath are just as I imagined!! I hear ya on the paper piecing, but it will look stunning when you have finished...

I'm so glad you have decided on some 'me' sewing...it was just what I needed when I did it and you will find it very enjoyable!!

brazen's crafts said...

adore those colours!

gosh i wish you lived over here so i could learn from youd

Anonymous said...

Are you cutting them for the Bricks & Mortar pattern? I bought the same pattern from Amitie in Sydney and I have just finished cutting the blocks. Even though I had a million and I things to do first, with deadlines. I like cutting big blocks!

I love your sun. You are very, very clever and so creative.

Lisa said...

Gosh Helen, love that squid eye quilt!!! and that sunset is just divine!!! I love your work! and some days, you just have to throw caution to the wind and leave the list behind! :-)

Leah said...

Oh Helen! I love how your sunset quilt has developed. It's amazing. Truly. I know I say it every time and I sound like a broken record, but you are so talented and inspirational. Oh, and an all-round cool chook too ;)
Great work.