Saturday, June 28, 2008

Wonky Geese Progress.

Its funny how things just come around. I have finished the quilting on the lemonade quilt in the last post and sewn on the binding. All I need to do is hand sew the binding down, that can wait a few days. But half way through all that I thought about how the background for my wonky flying geese blocks are going to look. Sort of like the sketch above!

So I thought I'd trial it on the first strip I did, the red/orange/yellow one? To go with the rainbow colours, on a background of blue and green squares, a gradiation, sort of complimenting the triangles? I had fun cutting up these 2.5 inch squares and then sewing them together this afternoon while the girls watched and acted scenes out of The Lion King. Really must get the soundtrack to that film, they love it! Anyway, back to the sewing.... I had all the rows sewn together and then laid the strip over it. The edges are going to be cut back and I am hoping to echo the gentle curve as like a frame for the geese. Am I making sense or do I sound silly?

I was thinking that I had a few more scraps of this white but alas, all I found was a little 3 x 5 scrap that would have maybe done one more level of geese. As quickly as I was sewing I was altering my design. I'm now going to unpick both the top and bottom rows, so the geese strip will fit nicely between top and bottom rather than floating. It will make sense, I can see it pitcured in my head, just to make it reality.

9 comments:

Helen said...

Hi Helen

I haven't called in for a while. I got really behind on my blog reading for a long while. I've just been catching up with your blog. I love the flickr mosaic you did of your quilts. You use lovely fresh colors. The wonky flying geese are looking great too!

Emma said...

looks fantastic Helen! I'm really loving your work at the moment, especially the way you come up with new ideas!

Unknown said...

I'm really enjoying watching this evolve Helen. I love the wonky geese and the colours you are using are stunning.

AJ said...

There is always something fantastic going on inside your head!!

tigerfilly said...

Love those rainbow colours, you do such clever designs Helen!

Anonymous said...

Your fabrics are just yummy! The flying geese are wonderful. It's coming along marvelously.

Anonymous said...

oh Helen, that will be so damn pretty

Lisa said...

Helen, that is going to look so awesome. Thanks for sharing your ideas. It is neat to see how others plan their works of art!

jacquie said...

I can't get over how cool these look. You've got a good idea going here!