Saturday, May 01, 2010

A Quilt for Lynne.

The quilt I made for Lynne has arrived. Yahhh! Australia Post is looking after mine from her for just a little bit longer but that's okay, I am enjoying knowing it's near. By Monday I am sure I will be squealing!

She squealed when she opened it. Can you tell by the grin on her face? Now it has arrived in her home I can share some photos I took while making it.

I knew I wanted to do wonky houses and trees. I was thinking along the lines of my house and a tree that represented the area that I live in and then Lynne's house with a tree found growing in her area of the world. That was a rough plan. So I did this house first. I'm not too sure if it is Lynne's place or mine.

Then I added a tree. On a little hill.

My plan for the trees on our regions went out the window though. It was just too much fun doing flying geese tree's. At this stage I was thinking I'd do two tree's.

Then I added the second house, a pink rocket house on a hill. I'd love to live there! The other tree was going to go on the other side of the pink house but then I thought, nope, too small.

Then I started to do the quilting... I wanted texture.

So I pebble quilted the sky with a verigated blue 100% cotton thread. It took ages!

It made the pink in the houses "pop" out too much, I didn't like that. So I pebble quilted them too. And the roof too.

And then of course I had to do the other house. And the windows, and that roof as well!

The grass I did wavey lines. By this stage the pebbling was making the quilt very stiff. I had to roll it up in a tube to post to her. Worth it though. :)

11 comments:

Millie said...

OH YEAH, it was worth it! It is -SO- gorgeous. I love it!

Jan said...

Oh Helen that is so gorgeous. I wish I was on the recieving end lucky Millie. I admire your quilting ability, I dream I can do this.

AJ said...

So you Helen! Well Done!

Vicki W said...

That's fabulous!

Susan said...

Unbelievably wonderful quilt, Helen. I'm impressed and loved reading about the process. So nice to see you in action!

Wow. Who wouldn't love a sweet quilt like that? Mmmm.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Fantastic! I admire all that pebble quilting. Great post sharing your thought and work progress...

Poppyprint said...

That is the funnest quilt ever!!! LOVE the 'rocket' house.

sopheecat said...

I like that process. one house, one tree, two houses, a hill, one tree, nope other tree doesnt fit, oh well, two houses one tree.

xox

Lily Mulholland said...

Wow! Hey you inspired me for my Canberra QUilters challenge quilt - which I have to make from scratch and finish tonight. A doll quilt in one night? No problem!

Clare said...

You have both done some amazing work on these quilts, but I have to admit that I'm leaning towards yours cos I just love wonky houses.

Tonya Ricucci said...

so fun to see the "in progress" photos. love it.