Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Gracie Lou goes to China!

Well not exactly, but kind of... Daz is off for a few days on an amazing journey to Suzhou, China.

Suzhou is on the lower reaches of the Yangtze River and on the shores of Lake Taihu in the province of Jiangsu. The city is renowned for its beautiful stone bridges, pagodas and meticulously designed Chinese gardens. Since the Song Dynasty, Suzhou has also been an important centre for China's silk industry and continues to hold that prominent position today. It is ranked no. 5 among 659 Chinese cities.

Thanks wikipedia!

Here are the girls outside of the Beisi Pagoda, built between 1131 and 1162 and is 76metres tall. Hmmmm, love the net, having that sort of info right there at the touch of the button. 659 cities! OMG! When we found out he was going, all my friends and family were like, Wow! China! Are you going too? What a great opportunity! And know what? I have absolutely no desire to go to China! Rather stay home and sew! I've done some travelling in my 20's, lived out of a backpack for long enough, I'm happy here.

He is attending an animation conference over there, like a workshop for international animators to talk about their project, ours being Gracie Lou. There are some big names attending, the guys that did Shrek 3, (I prefered Shrek 2 but hey!), Pixar, Walt Disney, Dreamworks to name a few. Daz feels a bit humble to be taking our little project over. But still, little projects have to start somewhere.

9 comments:

Karen said...

Wow what a great opportunity Helen. Hope we see some more Gracie Lou on our screens soon.

Cass said...

Helen you never know Disney or someone mught pick it up and next thing you know it's on the big screen. Mind you if there is a Gracie Lou ride at Disneyland I will be calling for free tickets LOL

Heids said...

Thats fantastic Helen - hope Daz has a great time.

Kylie said...

Hope that Daz has fun and that you have lots of creative time while he is away - does this mean that gracie lou is going international?

AJ said...

Yeah Helen and Daz!! So pleased and prond of you both!! Have a safe trip Daz...wonder if he will have time to find some material....some silk maybe.....??

Emma said...

That's great! China was high on my list only because of the pandas. I'd go back if I had the chance to actually touch one.

Little Munchkins said...

How exciting! Fingers crossed there will be good news.

Helen said...

Thanks girls. :) He'll be stoked to know your good wishes are with him.

Unknown said...

Just found your blog, and I love it. You have such colorful bright quilts and CUPCAKES!! I love everything that I have read so far. By the way, my brother is living in Beijing for 3 years and is loving it.