Wednesday, July 11, 2007

WIP Wednesday Week 26 - Overlocked Edges

Week 26? Does that mean we are half way through the year?? And I haven't even looked at this quilt which I had promised myself would be done this year.

Okay, BOL progress. Well I echo quilted around the hearts and it looked bad, real bad. All wobbly and uneven, I suppose using a verigated thread didn't really help so in some areas there was a light pink on a deep purple background which really stood out. Would have been okay if it was all graceful and smooth. So I unpicked it all and decided to go for an all over meandering stipple with a few lovehearts thrown into the design as I went. Looks better.

I am going to leave the dark purple border just plain and do the same meandering stipple in the red squares only of the outside border. But I wanted to show this picture, look at the edges, they are overlocked!! I had huge deliemas recently with the edges of my last quilt being wavy so when I requested some advice from the SCQuilter ladies, one lady suggested overlocking the edges of the quilt, before you sew the binding on. Hmmmmmm, interesting! So I measured and marked it last night and then dragged out the overlocker. Since this photo I have added the binding and it does nicely sit down, so maybe it will work. Or maybe I have been a bit more attentive with my meausring and pulling the fabric taunt as I sew the binding on?? I guess I should know by the weekend.

6 comments:

AJ said...

never tried the overlocking before...interesting ...let me know how it goes....I really do like your colour choices...what did you do about the other edges...find some more material?? If that is your backing fabric i see peeking out the top I love that too!!

AJ said...

woo hoo I got the first comment (and the second)


:)

atet said...

Love how this one is turning out. I took a peek at your daizies quilt. I love that block -- I used it in one of my daughter's quilts awhile back -- but yes, I highly recommend sending that one out to be quilted! Great work!

Natalie said...

Wow Helen, this is looking beautiful! Reminds me of the gorgeous cushion you made me which I keep on my bed - can't wait to see this one finished.

Austysmum said...

Wow Helen - your quilting is so cute. Love that pink spotty fabric. Might have to try overlocking mine too - that Jinny Beyer fabric is driving me insane how much it's freying compared to other fabrics...trust me to put in on the borders!

Samantha said...

I would never have thought of overlocking! That's going to be a lovely quilt- i love the colors you work in!