Wednesday, July 18, 2007

WIP Wednesday - Week 27 - The Dissappearing 9 Patch

Well I promised myself awhile back that I wouldn't make any more baby quilts for my cyber friends as I feel like bit of a baby quilt making machine and I have this to finish and this as well. But a girlfriend had a baby boy yesterday, and I have been lurking in the dolls quilt swap in flickr admiring the work and stumbled across this quilt here, and thought wow, what a stunning and quick block to make, the Dissappearing 9 Patch! So that sent me to the sewing room to cut up 54 3.5 inch squares in blue and green. Fortunately I was babysitting my 2 nephews and neice yesterday so with 5 children running amuck in the house I actually got quite a bit of sewing done.

So above I have all the squares sewn into the 9 patch blocks. And then below here are the same squares cut in half and twirled around.

And then once I had sewn all the blocks back together, I added a 1.5 inch peep border of yellow to frame it, then a wide 5.5 inch border after that. So here it is ready to be sandwiched and quilted! Turn around time from starting to cut the squares to now, about 28 hours! And I even managed to clean the bathroom and do some washing in that time! Must have had my super quilter cap on! :)

18 comments:

Leah said...

I love that quilt. Helen, you have such a wonderful eye for colour and design. You're my quilting Guru.

Cass said...

Helen I can not believe how quickly you made this. As Leah said you are the quilting guru

AJ said...

Wow Helen you are a champ!! I love seeing some of 'my' green squares pop up in this one...I knew you'd find a use for them...I'm simply in love with bule and green at the moment. Love love love it!!

Austysmum said...

That's so cool! It might even be something I can manage. I saw the d9p doll quilt swap group on flickr and admired them but thought it was more comlicated to make than that. Will have to try it now - you girls have me hooked on quilting now.

Bec Clarke said...

You are so clever, the colours are wonderful and I may just have to give one a try for myself. I love a good nine patch and this just makes it all the more interesting.

Libby said...

Awww lovely! That's not just disappearing nine patch, it's disappearing nine patch done very well!

Suzanne Earley said...

That is adorable! I really like the look of the disappearing nine patch....just what I need...something else to try! LOL!

Little Munchkins said...

That was amazing that so much was completed in such a short time. I love this quilt, as I do all your other quilts.

Samantha said...

or the shout out :-) Yours is fabulous- and so fast, with all those kiddos around! Amazing!

Helen in the UK said...

Great quilt. Love seeing how the different colour combos make this simple design different every time :)

thehummingcat said...

Wow! I guess my kids are part or your creativity? I think we may of just found our next sew~a~long project!!!

Natalie said...

Wow Helen, that looks fantastic! I can't believe how quickly you've gotten it done. That might be a good project for my two boys, would be able to do two of them together.

atet said...

Don't you just love these blocks? They're even easier when you use charm square packs to make the 9 patches! No cutting, straight to sewing! I love the color choices you made.

Kylie said...

Wow - you must have had your super mum cap on as well!

Andrea said...

Looks just great Helen. I think this quilting is something I could get used to. Makes great little gifts.

Unknown said...

Oh lordy Helen, you truly are super muumy quilter aren't you! This is great. I am another fan of blue and green together. It looks so fresh and lovely.

flippytale Quilter (Christine) said...

Looks great! Love those colors!

Amanda Jean said...

I love this! I haven't tried this technique yet, but it is headed to the top of my list. your quilt is wonderful.