Saturday, July 24, 2010

Hanging Lynne's Quilt.

Lynne's quilt has been hanging for a few months. There is a small entrance area in this house, then you turn the corner and bang! There is a cream wall with some quilts hanging. It is a talking point for all that enter our home. I get asked did I make it? Then I explain who made it and why and what the quote means. The circular flying geese quilt is one I made back for flickr DQS#7 and the one on the right was received from Kriszta in our KQI Swap. Three of my favourites in a row. There is so much wall space here I could hang more, but Daz is cautious of me banging too many holes in a house belonging to the Education Department!

Lynne's quilt also has the children talking. Milly got a bit upset the first few days after it was hung. She questioned me that would she miss out on the fun even though she followed the rules in the playground. I had to explain, no, it only applies to adults! The girls have been known to sit at the table over breakfast and test each other on the words. Grace, "Hey Milly, what does t h e spell?" Milly, "Easy! THE!! My turn, what does r u l e s spell?" Grace, "Rules!! My turn..." and on they go. Milly also has a habit of copying words around the house. One morning over the recent school holidays I woke to find she had done this. I was impressed, even the same sort of blocks Lynne's letters are sewn in.

7 comments:

carol said...

I think that one is a REAL future quilt maker! Look at those letters! I bet you could teach her how to do them in fabric already.

Shari said...

That's a great way to display your quilts and get the girls involved! And tell Daz holes are easy peasy to repair... even I could do it...

Cass said...

Looks great Jelen

Jan said...

Helen that is so cute what the girls do-test each other out. Like the idea to hang the quilts. Real conversation starters.

Millie said...

Oh thank you, thank you for these pictures! It looks so good there! I'm really happy your whole family loves it.

Hugs, Lynne

Alice R. said...

I hang wall quilts with the tiny applique pins. You can hang most with just a couple, believe it or not, and when you remove them no one can see the holes. Even just paint fills them in!

tigerfilly said...

Love it, so true!