Friday, July 09, 2010

Blue Squares Quilt

We have just arrived home from a few days here again. Testing out the new car, showing the in laws the sights. Received two delightful emails while away. Sheridan has received the little mini Dresden Plate I made for her and my friend N has received her 4th son's baby quilt, so I can share photos!

I've called this the Blue Squares Quilt. Which isn't hard to see why! It all came together quite quickly. I sewed these squares in one day at my local real life quilting group. The only guidelines I set myself was that I had to use fabric from my blue stash and the blocks had to be 8 inches, going for the square in the square look. Then it was just a matter of sashing them with white. I didn't take any measurements, but I think it was 3.5 inches between the blocks, so 3 inches finished?

Then I just quilted simply around the inner square and from edge to edge around each square.

Here is Milly with the quilt on her bed. I took this more as a reference for me as if I had made it 3 squares across, it would have sat perfectly on top of the mattress.

And the back. Using up more of the blue stash. I'm really happy with how this quilt turned out, I'd like to make more like this.

14 comments:

Liz Jimenez said...

Ooh, what a lovely design! I like that it's obviously for a boy in that it's all that beautiful blue, but it doesn't beat you over the head with excessive boy-ness. I love how different each square is, it makes it fun to sit and examine each one. Must add this to my (ever-growing) list!

-Liz J

Barb said...

what a great quilt! I love the happy blues and the back is wonderful, thanks for showing it!

Unknown said...

Great quick quilt! Beautiful serene colors too.

carol said...

I think it's marvelous! I'm not a real "blue" person so rarely think of making anything with blues, but when someone else does, I LOVE them....and yours is on top of the list!

Marg said...

I love the quilt, the blues are lovely and I like the nice quick design. I think I will add this to my list of must-do's.

Clare said...

Gorgeous. Reminds me of sea and sand.

Sarah Craig said...

What a great quilt and great design idea! I need to make one of these myself!! Thanks for sharing!!

Kate said...

I like it ALOT!

Bec said...

Looks Beautiful! And love the pieced back!! xx

Poppyprint said...

Perfect baby gift and how lovely for a 4th child to have something special just for them...so often they have to suffer the pile of "handy-downs" as my daughter calls them.

Shayla Sharp said...

For just "winging" it, WOW! I love blue and this just looks fabulous altogether like that.

Katharine said...

I just found this quilt on the Fresh Modern Quilts group and just love it. Simple and serene and beautiful.

KateKwiltz said...

Oh, I LOVE this -- what great blues! Gorgeous!
Love the back, too!

AJ said...

How did i miss this post??

Love the blues!