Monday, March 01, 2010

A New Baby Quilt.

I turned over the calendar this morning to realize a friend is due with her second daughter in 5 days! I knew it was sometime in March. So I thought I would recycle an old quilt top. Last time I talked about this quilt was back here. It was to be for Matilda's bed but seeing as though she now has the Wonky Houses I thought I would attack it. I unpicked the top and bottom rows to leave me with a big 4 patch! I then sewed a 2.5 inch strip around the edge, in pink. Wolah, top complete!

For the backing, I thought I'd sew together some of the smaller blocks, trimmed them down to 5.5 inches......

.... then sashed them in some white and.....

..... then raided the backing stash for this plain, safe purple and white spots. Everything was from the stash, I am seeing how far into this year I can get without buying fabric, 2 months down, 10 to go! We'll see.

Then the fun part, sandwiching it on the tiles in front of the wrap up of the Winter Olympics. It's now drapped over the ironing board, ready to quilt!

5 comments:

AJ said...

Perfect for a new baby! I thing Milly will like the houses better than this one...glad you were able to 'recycle' it!

QuiltyBee said...

Lovely--and using the stash is just icing on the cake!

Poppyprint said...

What a nice pressie and using up stash: bonus! I most definitely need to get on that program.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! I love the colours and am so glad I am not the only one who ends up sandwiching on the floor in front of the telly!

Mark said...

Fantastic stash busting! I love the brightness of this quilt so girly and fun!