Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Wednesday WIP - Week 28 - Stippling My First Quilt on Jack.

My machine is not in my house at the moment and it feels weird. Mum and Dad have taken a grey nomads trip here and have left the quilting frame home, alone, unused, unattended, unloved. Why anyone would go away on a week's 4WD adventure a few days after their quilting frame arrives, I just don't understand.

But I wasn't to disagree as that meant I could go up and have a play. So I took my machine up as it has the needle down function and Mum's machine doesn't and I am more familiar with the tension on my machine than her's, so it made sense. And she said it was okay. Truelly she did! I am not lying on that one!

I have had this quilt top sitting in the cupboard since last August. It was a real quick whip up one weekend to practice accurate cutting and sewing and also as a stand by in case I needed a baby boy quilt. I think I may have jinxed myself as everyone is having girls. The last 3 baby quilts sewn have been all pink. This one is just a simple 4 patch block, perfect for practicing on.


Now you have to walk before you run, right? So I am just stippling this, just getting the hang of the frame. Observations so far, it needs a sewing machine with a bigger neck! And I need to use it on days I don't have to rush back out and pick up the girls from school. I still have another half a metre to go.... Mum and Dad are due back Thursday!

9 comments:

Natalie said...

Looking great Helen, you have a wonderful knack of making simple look stunning!

Vicki W said...

You are doing great!

Car said...

Love that quilt top, simple yet effective :)

Emma said...

Nice work! Great choice of fabrics, too!

Anonymous said...

Don't know about walking. Looks like you're moving at faster than a jog to me!

Cass said...

Looks great Helen. I know where I will be sending my quilts from now on. Mates rates right!

KateKwiltz said...

Lucky you! That has to be fun!
LOVE the quilt, too -- very simple, and wonderful, wonderful colors!

Lily Mulholland said...

Good job Helen! Sounds like you need a new machine with a bigger throat! LOL.

Nice work on the table runner too. Loved the pieced backing.

AJ said...

I lied Helen...I commented onFlickr not here...blame the baby brain...*blush*

That said I love the colours in this quilt and it's simplicity...great for that quilting practice!