Monday, July 20, 2009

My new machine for Chaletgirls block swap - round 5....

Look, I have a new machine. A Janome "My Style", I think it may be as old as me, but it runs like a dream. Nan gave it to me. One late summer afternoon in January, on a Sunday up at my folks house, sitting around the table, she asked me if I wanted her machine. "Don't be silly Nan, I have my own machine, you'll be wanting to use yours one day." "No, I'd like you to have it. Would you use it?" She wanted to know that I would have it, I said yes. Then when she passed away in April, Dad while helping clean up her unit, packed it into my car and it came home with me. When I got home I immediately put it out of sight. Packed it away for that one day. That one day is here. My machine is still here and we are settled enough in our new living arrangements for me to organize a sewing area, so I unpacked her machine and it is sitting on the Horn cabinet ready for action!

I was expecting it to be clunky but it hums along nicely. No fancy instructions to follow, very simple to use. Only issue is no 1/4th inch foot. But nothing that a strip of masking tape can't fix!

Thank goodness, it is spot on 1/4th of an inch. Perfect! So I got stuck into my blocks for round 5 of Chaletgirls Block Swap. We are getting down to the end, round 6 is the end!

Susie's blocks were a pale green with flecks of grey, very pretty. Bits of Amy Butler for her and some I think Micheal Miller daisies? I liked the Amy Butler spots so much I used them for the below blocks too.

And for the swap hostess, Sheridan's blocks. These were lovely to match with, so many possibilites with the yellow.

One more round to go and then onto the next exciting swap!

3 comments:

Andi said...

What a lovely way to honour your grandmother's memory!!

Susie said...

How lovely to be using your Nan's machine. I'm sure she would be very proud of you. Thanks for the fantastic looking blocks. My fabric looks very pretty with your combinations.

Lily Mulholland said...

I reckon your Nan would have been thrilled to bits. Well done on the perfect 1/4" seam. Still working that one here!