Friday, September 18, 2009

Squid Eye Quilt Finished!

I finished this week the quilt that is known as "The Squid Eye". So named by my beloved husband because he commented at the start "that looks like a giant squid eye". I am not too sure what a giant squids eye looks like exactly.... bloodshot and big?

Despite the edges of this photo, it does lie flat! It measures 48 inches square. The larger squares in the center are 11 inches. And the ones around the outside are 5.5 inches.

One of my favourite blocks. The black and white print is from Prints Charmings range as most of you will know. It is so soft! I brought that fabric on our Sydney trip back here, nearly 2 years ago. Must be time for another trip soon. I wish!

I like this one too. Lots of spots.

The back I pieced together. The spot in the bottom left is the label.

I decided to give the quilt to Daz, well make the label out to him. I finished it on the night of his birthday. He was sitting next to me on the couch as I sewed the binding down. One of the best things about sewing at night is that you can snuggle under the quilt. I finished the binding and pushed all the quilt over onto his knee and said "Happy Birthday!" and pretended that the plan of starting here and taking 18 months to finish this quilt was all on purpose so I would finish exactly on his 38th birthday. He didn't believe me though! I did the label on the computer and printed it out onto fabric and then blanket stitched it into place as usual.

Here we all are about to cut his birthday cake! Happy birthday Daz! We love you lots and look foward to the next 38 birthdays together!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks fantastic and I love the label!

Lauren The Artist said...

What a great quilt!!!

antique quilter said...

cute story and I love the quilt, very graphic!
Kathie

Unknown said...

Love it!

szkornelia said...

This quilt is really cool. Congratulation!

Carla said...

Love the boldness of this quilt. Great work!

Vicki W said...

Make sure he puts that one is a safe place. When my friend sees this in my Field Trips post next week she's likely to hunt it down! It's awesome!

SandyQuilts said...

WOW shat a terrific quilt .... I love it. Is this your own pattern?

Sheridan said...

Noooo! I nearly fell off my chair when I read the title of this post. I think you have been making this quilt for as long as I have 'known' you!

Well done! It looks great! And I love the family photo - very sweet!

CA FROM SLC said...

Love it!

Lily Mulholland said...

Congratulations - you know I love this quilt. And it's gone to a good home too PMSL!

Cass said...

Helen I love it and a great gift for Daz too

Meredith said...

It looks fantastic. Well done for finishing it. What will you bring to mothers' group now???

And happy birthday Daz!!

SewAmy said...

I just love this quilt. Do you have a pattern for it, or did you just make it up?

Unknown said...

Beautiful finish Helen! I love the picture of your family too - Happy Birthday - a little late :)