Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Ruby's Quilt.

Back in March 2006, before I started blogging, I finished this quilt. It was made for a dear friends little girl who was turning two. She is now five. I found out late yesterday the shocking news that she has just been diagnosed with leukaemia. She is still having tests done to determine which kind, they think it is ALL, which is the most common childhood cancer.

They live in Sydney, over 3,000 kms away from us. I feel so helpless sitting here, all I can do is call my friend and send her our love and hugs in words. I am just so shocked that such a terrible thing can happen to such a normal, loving family. She is inbetween the ages of Grace and Milly. I have a photo on my fridge of her and her younger brother on Santa's knee taken last year and think why? how?

Nan died of ovarian cancer in the end and it was sad but she had a long and happy 84 years of life. For this to happen to a 5 year old is just so unfair...... I can not stop thinking about her and the heartache her parents are going through. Hug your children tighter, read them an extra bedtime story tonight just because you can.

I don't consider myself a religious person but I'm praying. Praying and sending love. I think I have to make a new quilt for Ruby. A cuddle quilt with a warm polar fleece soft backing. All other WIP's are being pushed aside, time to do some serious sewing.

7 comments:

Cass said...

Helen that sounds like a great idea a quilt to cuddle made with love.

Desiree said...

Oh Helen I am so sorry! No one understands this so it's hard to offer words of encouragement. I think a cuddle quilt is a wonderful idea and I know I would pray hope into every stitch!!

Shari said...

Helen this is so hard and I'm so sad this has happened to a little girl, especially one you know and love. I will be praying for her and her family and for you and yours as you cope with it as well. Sewing a cuddle quilt will be very good for you and her.

Hugs - Shari

Emma said...

That was very touching. I think a new quilt would be perfect, because it's so personal and so tangible.

KateKwiltz said...

Sending good thoughts Ruby's way from Chicago. A new quilt is definitely in order.

Andi said...

A cuddle quilt sounds like a lovely idea although it will be hard to come up with something more gorgeous than the quilt she already has from you.
Try to remember that there has been great progress in the treatment of childhood leukemia.
Try to stay positive. It's what Ruby needs right now.
Warmest wishes,
Andi :-)

Samantha said...

I am so sad to hear the news about ruby. I know a quilt this gorgeous and bright will help to raise the spirits of her family, and your love will help as well. Hughs.