Wednesday, January 30, 2008

WIP Week 3 - The start of a cat quilt.

Isn’t this the cutest print?? Its a range called Meow Magic from a lady called Edith Ellen. I brought it off ebay a few years back, it came with all the marching fabric from the range, it was a sample I think. I had the intention of making a baby quilt for one of the girls, well they are getting a bit old for that now and it has been sitting in the back of one of my storage tubs for ages. And now a girlfriends pregnacy is ending, I felt the urge to cut it up.


So I cut up 28 4 inch squares and thought I'd make those into a 4 patch and then alternate them with the larger squares. Something quick and simple. Here it is plonked on the felt wall, ready to sew the strips together. A bit busy maybe and not too sure about the yellow now I see it like this.....

And despite me starting a new project and saying that last weeks WIP had to be done, I haven't touched it since taking the photo for the blog! I got stuck back into my log cabins. I have added a 1 inch border of black tones, like below and then arranged the smaller log cabins around the outside. All I need now is to add another 1 inch border of black around the edges and then all finished! I am going to get this one professionally quilted. I want it to look nice. Well, nicer, you know what I mean. I haven't got enough of the black though, and am chasing some like the prints below. Any at your nearest Spotlight that you see, would you mind grabbing them for me! Pleassssseeee!

8 comments:

atet said...

Those log cabins are looking lovely -- I hope you find the fabric you are looking for! Love those cats too.

AJ said...

Same collection of catsyou sent me?? With a yellow border the yellow squares will be better...maybe??

Love the work on the log cabins...really finishes the quilt. I have seen the dotty fabric at my SL store...want me to have a look??

Austysmum said...

I will check out my Spotty tomorrow night for you Helen - how much do you need?

Gorgeous cats - I agree with AJ on the yellow squares - you really need 5 - one on each row, and then a yellow border to tie it together. Then maybe a pink binding?

The logs look fantastic - I love the mini-blocks. Too cute!

Emma said...

I agree about the yellow, too. And I love the way you've finished off the logs with the charcoal look - perfect! Unexpected, but just right.

Anonymous said...

how much of those fabrics do you need? I think I have scraps of the one on the right...

Cass said...

Trying to stay away from SL but if I go there I will check it out. Didn't get a bloglines update for this post either, not sure what's going on there

Natalie said...

lol, just realised I wrote pretty much the same as Joy in my reply on the new forum lol!!! Great minds must think alike ;)

Heids said...

I know NOTHING about quilting but since you asked about the yellow in the new sewing forum and I had looked at your blog the other day I thought I would also say - the yellow doesn't look right as it is. (Sorry!)